Friday, March 20, 2009

The Nuclear Option

A6's from Hoosier via TireRack.

Tire Rack offered great service as usual.

I wish I could say the same for Diamond Racing Wheels (link omitted)... but after an early February order with a quoted 1 week lead time, I finally got the wheels the day before the March 21st National Tour. Not only was this about 500% behind schedule, but getting information was like pulling teeth and the vendor did not follow through on commitments to shipping dates or even bother to update me when delays came about. There are several other companies in the US that can make custom steel racing wheels, and I recommend checking them out, as I will should the need to get custom hoops arise again. If I had it to do over, I would probably give Basset a try, or anyone else really.

When I showed up at the tire shop some of the locals expressed a doubt that the wheels would survive mounting unbent, so Diamond carried a bad reputation for structural soundness as well as less than stellar service. The expert technicians at C2 did excellent work and the tires went on with little bending in the rim.


The mounted Hoosier compared to the Toyo R1R and RA1


A6


R1R

RA1

The fitment was VERY tight, as I could pass dental floss between the strut and tire but not a business card. Some rubbing is expected under load, but it should be tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment