Thursday, March 12, 2009

Intake

In an attempt to close the power gap with the integras I decided a cold air intake was worth a try. After a little research I decided to go with TRD. In this case, TRD turned out to stand for Taiwanese Ripoff Development, and the blatant copy of the AEM design kept the price down to about $40 shipped.



I'll give it an 8 for shiny, and a 0 for including instructions...

Without a written guide gave it a shot and as it turns out, 90 minutes will turn this:



into this:




...with these left over:


Suggestions for the actual use of the mounting brackets are welcome, since they had no obvious use to me... until then, the zip ties should keep the whole thing from falling out of the car and taking the $300 MAF with it.

Also, possibly for lack of instruction, I cut the provided tubing to the wrong length (or perhaps there was not enough to begin with) and I had to use some left-over PVC for one of the vacuum lines.

Seat of the pants feel indicated a gain of no horsepower or torque, but my ass isn't calibrated to detect the claimed 5% increases.

I'll give the ripoff artists a C for the intake, a solid pass considering the price, and failing grades to Nissan for it's atrocious intake design (really? no slots on the worm drive clamps) and Home Depot for not selling tubing by the foot (it was a 10ft roll for $8 or go-fuck-yourself, so I chose the latter and feel like it was the right move). Go to Lowes, it's always worth the extra drive to avoid the Depot.

No comments:

Post a Comment